How To Get A Passport For A Minor

children watching the coastline

Are you planning a family vacation this season? Family vacations are moments to cherish forever, and what better way to create lasting memories than by exploring the world with your children?

If you plan to jet off to exciting destinations with your little adventurers, you must ensure they have their passports ready. Applying for a passport for a minor may sound like a daunting task, but fear not! In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the process, step-by-step, with an engaging and conversational approach.

Here’s what you need to know:

So, What’s the Deal with Passports for Minors?

Before we dive into the nitty-gritty, let’s first understand what we’re dealing with. A passport is a travel document issued by the government that allows its holder to travel internationally. For minors (children under 18), the passport application process is slightly different from that of adults. As a parent or guardian, you play a crucial role in obtaining a passport for your child, and we’re here to make sure it’s smooth sailing!

a passport, sunglasses, and a postcard on a map

Step 1: Gather the Necessary Documents

First things first, let’s round up the essential documents you’ll need to apply for your child’s passport:

  1. Proof of U.S. Citizenship: This can be a certified birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), a Naturalization Certificate, or a previous U.S. passport (if applicable).
  2. Parental Identification: You’ll need to provide valid identification for both parents/guardians. This can be a driver’s license, state ID, military ID, or a valid U.S. passport.
  3. Passport Application Form: Fill out Form DS-11, the Application for a U.S. Passport, available online or at your nearest passport acceptance facility.
  4. Passport Photo: Get a recent passport photo of your child taken following the specific U.S. Department of State guidelines.
  5. Consent Form (if applicable): If only one parent can be present during the application process, the absent parent must provide a notarized statement of consent or complete Form DS-3053.
  6. Proof of Parental Relationship: If your child’s birth certificate doesn’t list both parents, you’ll need to provide additional documentation proving the parental relationship.
  7. Fees: Be prepared to pay the appropriate passport fees, which will vary depending on the type of passport and processing options you choose.

Step 2: Find the Nearest Passport Acceptance Facility

Now that you have all the necessary documents in order, it’s time to locate the nearest passport acceptance facility. You can find these facilities in various locations, including post offices, public libraries, clerks of court, and other government offices. To find the one nearest you, visit the U.S. Department of State’s website and use their Passport Acceptance Facility Search tool.

One such passport delivery agency is Prompt Passport Services. They can help you apply for a child’s passport online and deliver it to your doorstep within 5-7 days.

a person holding two passports

Step 3: Appear in Person with Your Child

When applying for a passport for a minor, both parents or legal guardians must appear in person with the child. This requirement ensures that all parties involved consent to the passport issuance. If only one parent can be present, the absent parent must provide a notarized statement of consent (Form DS-3053) or a consent form (Form DS-5525) explaining the circumstances.

Remember, the child should also be present during the application process. It’s a great opportunity to introduce them to the world of travel and create excitement about the upcoming adventures!

Step 4: Submit the Application and Pay the Fees

Once you’ve gathered all the necessary documents and appeared in person at the passport acceptance facility, it’s time to apply. The acceptance agent will review the documents and verify your child’s identity. Double-check all the information before signing any forms to avoid errors.

Don’t forget to pay the applicable passport fees. The fee structure will depend on factors like the child’s age, the type of passport (standard or expedited), and other processing options you may choose.

Step 5: Wait Patiently for Processing

With the application submitted and fees paid, it’s time to exercise a bit of patience. Passport processing times can vary depending on the time of year and other factors. Standard processing usually takes around 4-6 weeks, while expedited processing can take 2-3 weeks (additional fees apply for expedited service). However, Prompt Passport Services can expedite the process to deliver it to your doorstep within 5-7 days after application.

During the waiting period, keep an eye on your email for any updates or requests for additional information. Once your child’s passport is ready, you’ll receive it at the mailing address provided on the application form.

An American passport

Step 6: Passport Renewals and Special Circumstances

Passports for minors are typically valid for five years. As your child grows and travels more, you might find the need to renew their passport. The renewal process is similar to the initial application process, but with a few differences:

Age of the Child: If your child was under 16 years old when their last passport was issued, you’ll need to follow the same procedures as for a first-time passport application. It means appearing in person at a passport acceptance facility and providing all the necessary documents.

Age 16 or Older: If your minors were 16 years or older at the time of their last passport issuance, you can renew their passport by mail as long as their current passport is undamaged and was issued within the last 15 years. You must complete Form DS-82, the Application for Passport Renewal by Mail.

Keep in mind that if your child’s passport has been lost, stolen, or damaged, the process for obtaining a new one will differ. In such cases, you must fill out Form DS-11 and appear in person at a passport acceptance facility.

Special Considerations for Divorced or Separated Parents

In situations where parents are divorced or legally separated, obtaining a passport for a minor may require additional documentation. To prevent potential cases of child abduction or unauthorized travel, the U.S. Department of State requires the consent of both parents (or legal guardians) before issuing a passport to a minor.

In cases where one parent has sole legal custody of the child, they can provide evidence of this custody status by submitting relevant court orders, custody decrees, or a court order specifically authorizing the child’s international travel.

If the non-custodial parent cannot be located or refuses to provide consent, the custodial parent can request a passport by providing Form DS-5525, the Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances. You must submit this form with evidence of the non-custodial parent’s unavailability or refusal to consent.

While navigating these circumstances can be challenging, it’s essential to ensure the safety and well-being of the child during international travel.

a person holding a passport in front of an Atlas

Get A Child Passport Quickly With Prompt Passport Services

Now that you know how to apply for your child’s passport online, you can prepare for your family trip without worry. We recommend you apply at least fourteen days before your travel date or earlier to get the passport on time.

Reach out to Prompt Passport Services today to learn more about their expedited emergency passport, lost passport expedited, passport renewal, and child passport delivery and application services.